Battle of Pizza Parlours – Uncle Fatih’s vs 2001 Flavors

by KimHo on April 7, 2009 · 18 comments under: British Columbia,Comments,Food,Restaurant

Uncle Fatih’s Pizza
1685 E Broadway
Vancouver, BC
Uncle Fatih's Pizza on Urbanspoon
2001 Flavors Pizza
595 West Pender
Vancouver, BC
2001 Flavors Pizza on Urbanspoon

(Bell ringing)

(Start impersonation of Michael Buffer)Ladies and gentlemen. On red corner, suggested by bloggers fellow bloggers Kevin and Sherman, Uncle Fatih’s Pizza! And, on the blue corner, a KimHo’s favourite, 2001 Flavors Pizza! And now… Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!”. (end impersonation)

Sorry, I simply couldn’t resist doing that! Anyway, today’s post is about these two pizza parlours, one located in Downtown Vancouver, the other in the suburbs. Despite their differences, they share something in common, they are both popular.

Let’s start with Uncle Fatih’s, located in Broadway and Commercial – near Broadway Skytrain station. It is not exactly in the blocks where the stations are located and, despite there are two other pizza shops there (One Fresh Slice and one Megabite), Uncle Fatih’s seems busier than the other two. That should mean something, right?

The night I went there, it was a cold, chilly night. Even then, there were people queueing outside just for a slice or two of pie. In a way, I had to fight my way to one of the few stools inside. I could have easily sat in one of the plastic chairs outside but, it was dark, cold and not sure how easy/difficult would have been to take pictures… And here is what I ordered.

I will admit something here: I don’t remember exactly what I ordered here! My memory serves me right, the left one was vegetables and the right one is chicken. But, then again, I might be completely mistaken, hehehehe. The slices were not just out of the “oven” (actually a conveyor type oven) but was not standing way too long under the lamp either. I did not really “taste” the tomato sauce, as if they were a bit stingy on it. However, there was a good balance of the other ingredients.

One thing that you will notice is the crust: it has sesame seeds which, if toasted correclty, gives a different twist. However, if overtoasted, it turns bitter. In this case, it was slightly undertoasted which, unfortunately, added to nothing. Call it double edge sword.

After having those two slices, I couldn’t help myself get at third one! Was it because I was hungry? Was it because they were good? I won’t answer that question, hehehehe.

Now, 2001 Flavors, located in one of the most dense areas of Vancouver when it comes to pizza parlours. On the same block, there are not one, or two but four pizza parlours! It has been there ever since I walked by years ago and some other nearby pizza shops have come of gone – yet, aside from a small renovation last year, 2001 Flavors basically looks the same.

Right next to 2001 Flavors is FM Classic pizza… Did I mention lots of nearby pizza parlors?

Just like Uncle Fatih’s, during lunch rush or around 6:00 p.m., this place is packed. Fortunately, there are a couple of tables which accomodates more customers. Caveat, though, there has been instances where I have been seated to a total stranger! How come? Well, it just happens that you queue, point what you want and then sit wherever you want/can.

That night, I started with a slice of vegetable and another slice of ground beef with olives. The vegetable one was recently out of the oven; however, the ground beef one was sitting there for a moment. As a contrast of other pizza parlours, the dough was, well, more doughy. It could be good or bad, it basically boils down to your personal preference. Unlike Uncle Fatih’s, there is a good balance of tomato sauce, not overpowering but you can still taste it. As for the toppings, again, it was quite well balanced.

The crust. Here, the crust looks slightly burned/over-cooked. But, I myself do not eat the crust so I am OK with that… But, wait, did you notice something “odd” about the slice above? Like, it has a different set of toppings compared to the previous picture? Yes, just like Uncle Fatih’s, I could not help myself get another slice!

Overall, I don’t think there is a “better” between the two. They both share the same “issues” (unsold slices might be under the lamp for quite a while) but the end result is quite good in its own ways. Also, competition is stiff which push them to improve themselves. For me, I have a preference for 2001 Flavors (“just because”); however, Uncle Fatih’s is an option if I am in the area.

1 Sherman April 7, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I need to try this 2001 Flavours out! Toppings look plentiful. Yah, when the pizza sits for awhile, it’s not very good…

2 pattiez April 7, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I’ve always walked by those pizza places but never decided to venture in one. I guess I have to now since I bothered to read a review… haha

3 raidar April 7, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Great comparison. The cornucopia of pizza choices is always one of the first things that stick out when I visit Van.

4 KimHo April 7, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Pattiez, welcome! Please let us know about your experience!

Raidar, out of curiosity, which neighborhood you visit when you drop by Vancouver? Hehehehehe

5 monchichi April 8, 2009 at 1:51 am

These restaurants are not chain ones, are they? It’s a nice change from the usual Pizza Huts!

6 KimHo April 8, 2009 at 6:08 am

Monchichi, no, these are not chains, these are small mom-and-pop type operations, though, according to Uncle Fatih’s website, they are open to franchising!

7 raidar April 8, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I usually end up staying somewhere on W Broadway. That way I can pop out of the hotel and walk to a wide array of food choices and Granville. I either rent a car, last time it was a scooter, and bomb around to everywhere from Port Moody to Surrey. Although I’m going to try and hit Burnaby next time. With so many choices, it’s hard to to even make an impact with out the locals, so I try and hit chowhound before I come.

8 MIa April 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I used to live on those $1 giant pizza slices as a student. Even though the prices are higher now, they are still a good deal. The turnover is so high that the slices are usually fresh. They also don’t skimp on toppings, and sauces are free.

The cheap pizza shops scattered throughout Vancouver is one of the best things about the city! Most places charge $3.80 or less for two slices with pop.

9 Kevin April 17, 2009 at 3:10 am

Thanks for the plug ;)!

I have been to 2001 Flavors once, and it was full of students from the nearby English schools. It’s too far, it’s downtown!

Uncle Fatih’s is easily accesible by bus/skytrain, and it’s close for me.

You should also go try Pizza Garden…I have yet to go again cause I never hop on the bus to go north from Fatih’s.

10 KimHo April 17, 2009 at 5:49 am

Kevin, you are welcome! Oh, c’mon. 2001 Flavors is not that far from Granville Skytrain station or Waterfront station! As for Pizza Garden, I should give it a try one of these nights but not necessarily in a hurry right now, hehehehe.

11 Carson May 19, 2009 at 2:14 pm

2001 Flavors is a serious candidate for making the best pizzas in Vancouver. It is able to charge 25 cents more than the more typical place right beside it, and it still maintains an extremely busy pace. Slices of pizza are big, generously topped, and they are always extremely hot–and I say “always” because the guy in charge is ALWAYS very happy to make a brand new one of your choice if you are willing to wait (usually you wait 4 to 8 minutes for one right out of the oven, which will burn the skin off the inside of your mouth). His pizzas are delicious, no doubt about that. The main guy there has amazing energy and is always friendly. I noticed he is very nice to the down-and-out people who come by his place, too, and I really respect him for that.

Here is a REAL tip for Vancouverites as well as Pender Street backpackers–AFTER your pizza at 2001 Flavours, go across the street in the same block, and go into the tiny BLUE ANGEL convenience store for a 50-cent ice cream bar! The perfect dessert after pizza, and the price is right! Pizzas are great, but I like the ice cream to “break” that after-pizza taste.

12 KimHo May 19, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Carson, welcome! I have never thought on going to get some ice cream bar after some pizza… But, after this, I am really tempted. Thanks!

13 Carson May 22, 2009 at 8:05 am

@Kim, Hi, and thank you! I went back to 2001 Flavors yesterday to do some research. Talked with the owner. He acknowledged some good pizza places on Commercial; even told me how to get to one. Such confidence reflected his proud opinion: “There are a few VERY good pizza places in Vancouver,” he told me, adding, about his own place, “and this is one of them.”

I concur. Definitely.

I was also doing research about CALORIES, and he gave me his ingredient volumes in my favourite choice of MUSHROOM PIZZA, which I like for its taste and its vegetarian-friendly components. I worked out the calories by researching the internet: a 2001 Flavors slice of mushroom pizza came out to 399 calories (call it 400) and my error factor might put it as low as about 350 calories. Say 400 to be on the safe side. Not bad for pizza, and less than 2 Tim Horton’s donuts (which are not bad for donuts). Two people counting calories could share 3 slices of mushroom pizza at 2001 Flavors and that dinner would be 600 calories each, which can be factored in to a diet. (It’s a good idea to “enjoy” a diet by having fun treats along the way. That’s why a person on a diet might want to know about calorie counts for pizza, which are generally notorious for being too high for dieters.)

14 KimHo May 22, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Carson, wow! Now, that is dedication. So far, I have not paid too much attention to calories or details like that. If I do, I am not sure if I would eat out as much… ^_^;;;

{ 4 trackbacks }