Baguette Time

by KimHo on July 22, 2009 · 11 comments under: British Columbia,Food,Restaurant

Baguette Time
1231 Davie Street
Vancouver, BC
Baguette Time on Urbanspoon

After a couple of weeks of odd low temperatures (summer-wise), we have been hit with somewhat hot days, easily reaching the 30C (high 80F, low 90F to those used to it). Given the temperature, I was hoping for something to cool myself down. After reading several posts about screamers (courtesy from fellow bloggers Danny of Five Loaves, Jessica of Yum-O-Rama, Kevin of 604Foodtography and Sherman of Sherman’s Food Adventures), one place in Downtown Vancouver mentioned. Hey, I might as well jump into that bandwagon! :D That place in Downtown was Baguette Time.

Now, their claim to fame does not seem to be the screamers, rather, sandwiches. I mean, when your business have a name that involves bread, you ought to sell something associated with that, right? In this case, Baguette Time has 15 different sandwiches. Hmmmmmmm… Decisions, decisions…

I apologize for the blurry picture, I was trying to be inconspicuous when I took this one…

Before I continue, I will take a small detour. After snapped the picture, the owner/manager/cashier (whichever is valid/appropriate) noticed I was taking pictures. He then inquired as to why I was doing that. As per my personal “policy”, I fibbed about that. After that, I must say he was giving me a bit of a hard time (at that point, I had already stopped taking pictures of the board and sat on one of the stools facing outside). Now, whether that is the “attitude” part mentioned in the menu, I can’t say for certain… But I am digressing here… I ended up ordering Little Italy which has salami, mortadella, roasted peppers, provolone and lettuce. I did notice that they have an oven in the back and every time somebody orders a sandwich, they bring out one piece of bread at a time. Talk about fresh!

When I got my sandwich, the first thing that came to my mind was “I am not impressed”. I am not sure if I am setting my own standards a bit too high but I was expecting something on the lines of La Grotta del Formaggio. Heck, even Cardero Bottega! (if we need to make a comparison based on Downtown). I will admit that, while the bread was good (soft in the inside, with a crunch on the crust) as well as the roasted pepper, the rest was a bit disappointing. The meats were a bit too salty for my liking (I know, I know, salami ought to be slightly salty) yet it did not balanced well with the rest. It is as if there was something missing. In my head, had gone to a nearby Safeway and bought some cold cuts, I am sure I would have been able to make a similar sandwich (bread aside, that is). After I finished the sandwich (again, not really satisfied), I decided to do what I came here for…

The screamer! I will admit I am a newbie with this drink. Sure, I have had soft serve on its own and slurpee on its own (though the later not in a really long time) but not both of them combined. So, when I ordered mine, I got stumped with the simple question of what flavour. In the end, I went with the last one he mentioned: cream soda (oddly, I associate cream soda with a yellow drink, not a pink drink). Now, I am not sure if had something to do with the time of the day but the soft serve was quite stiff (really good for a soft serve but a bit difficult for me to mix it with the slurpee). And, when I took my first “sip”…. Let’s just say my expression was not pretty. No, I did not have a brain freeze; rather, I was almost on the verge of a coma. That mix was way too sweet for my liking! Now, the “texture” was quite interesting, i.e., creamy yet smooth but I can’t get away from that sugar overload. In the end, I had a bit more of the soft serve and threw the rest (I had a small for $3 and barely had 1/8 of the glass). Now, don’t get me wrong, it is not that it wasn’t bad, if I have had this when I was in my teenage years, I might have enjoyed it a bit more. Nowadays, I prefer flavours other than an overload of sweet.

Overall, despite they make honour to their name, the end result was a bit disappointing. Could it be I infuriated a sandwich-nazi? Well, I don’t think I will be able to answer that question. However, I am not sure if I have the interest on finding that out anyway. As for the screamer, again, I am sure others will enjoy it, just not me. -_-;;;

Bookmark and Share

1 jenny July 22, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I was tempted to try the screamer as well after reading numerous people blog about it, but now I think I will pass.

I for one also dislike overly sweet drinks, I can’t even stand bubble tea that is loaded with sugar water. So thanks for saving me $3 :)

2 Jonnek July 22, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I find the screamers too sweet too. I call it diabetes in a cup. :)

3 KimHo July 22, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Jenny, well, it is just $3, a small price to pay for a post! Again, it is possible it is an acquired taste but I am already past the stage of too much sweetness and prefer other flavours, hehehehe.

Jonnek, that might be an understatement!

4 Sherman July 22, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Hi Kim, I can understand if a business does not want pictures taken; but I often wonder why some people are so rude about it. The time I was at Anna’s Cake Shop, they were quite rude about it. Ask nicely and I will stop gladly. About the screamer, yes, it’s quite sweet. But I personally hate the pink cream soda, it tastes like sweet medicine to me. I much prefer the Schwepp’s yellow cream soda imported from Asia. It’s much smoother and less sweet.

5 H.Peter July 23, 2009 at 6:27 am

Sandwiches are a tricky thing to eat outside the house, especially if you have good taste.

I for one, did (and still do) give many places a try but still, the very best is made at home. Your own choice of cold cuts, your own brand of mustard, maybe even home made Mayo.
Unfortunately we spend a lot of time on the road, so convenience it is.

6 Jessica July 23, 2009 at 6:50 am

Kim, Sherman: Maybe its a guy thing – I have never had trouble with taking pictures. Of course, my pictures are usually blurry and such as a result lol. A lot of the times, I get the feeling that they’re uncomfortable with me taking photos, so I’ll take a couple photos of my dining companions…then back to the food. haha! I’ve never been so bold as to ask them to take a photo of everyone though – maybe I’ll do that if a restaurant is rude? ;p

7 KimHo July 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

H.Peter, agreed and disagree at the same time. While the ones made at home might certainly taste better, when I grab one outside of home, I would expect they being able to give me something different from what I can make at home. For example, better breads (in this case, Baguette Time did it) or some ingredients I usually won’t have available (like the roasted peppers). But, yes, given our hectic lives, in the end, it falls into convenience… Subway, anybody? ^_^;;;

Jessica, it is funny you bring this topic. I was at a clinic a moment ago when I picked a magazine with an article about the men vs. women’s perspective when taking pictures. I did not finish reading the article but, from the few bits and pieces I grasped, it does point some differences and how people react differently to men and women (and, as a result, how is the end product). And, yes, it seems there is a gender bias, in this case, models tend to react “better” to male photographers than female photographers. But, then again, it was about photographers taking pictures of people, not like us – taking pictures of the restaurant and/or food. Still, I am sure that reaction to men/women will still somehow work for or against us, specially if you happen to be carrying a “large” camera… Your strategy might work wonderfully if you are in a group, heck, if you are with somebody else; unfortunately, most of the time, I am by myself… -_-;;;

8 H.Peter July 23, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I am a bit of an emulator. If I do find a good sandwich somwhere (let’s say Lina’s Porcetta sandwich), I will try to make it at home to “my” perfection.

9 Annie July 24, 2009 at 12:22 am

Another sandwich shop you can check out is Finch’s. I don’t remember the address but it has great sandwiches on a baguette bun. Kinda pricy but worth it. Try it out!

10 KimHo July 24, 2009 at 6:33 am

H.Peter, again, agree and disagree. If it is a “simple enough” sandwich with readily available ingredients, I will understand that. I won’t try to do a shrimp salad sandwich, unless I can get some really good shrimp (so far, if I get really good shrimps, they will end up in other applications!).

Annie, Finch is on the list now! ;)

{ 1 trackback }