KFC – Double Down in Canada

by KimHo on October 19, 2010 · 20 comments under: British Columbia,Comments,Food,Random

KFC
Hundred of locations around the world
1147 Davie Street KFC on Urbanspoon
Vancouver, BC

In the past, I made reference to things that we wish and long for just due to the fact it is at a somewhat arms reach but it is too troublesome to go and get it/them. Wait, what’s that again? OK, let me put a really simple example: When the original iPhone came, it wasn’t launched in Canada but people went to extreme to find unlocked versions in the US. In the case of food, Krispy Kreme was almost a commodity… Until a store was opened here. The list goes and goes. When KFC released their Double Down sandwich, aside from the hype it generated as being one of the most unhealthy sandwiches (there are worst), it was done as a US only item. But, thanks to some ingenuity, some people made their own version, including a Canadian version. In my case, living in Vancouver, with border crossing at a relatively short drive, it was a matter of if I *really* wanted to do it. For the most part the answer was no; until, that is, I was in the US for business trip and, well, why not, get not one but two of such sandwiches! You can check my post here.

Fast forward to the present: In a case of demand (or hype or success, which ever you think is true), KFC in Canada was to release this “sandwich” on October 18th and available until mid November. While I already had the “original” version down in the US, well, why not try the local version as well!

KFC, Kentucky, Fried, Chicken, fries, double down, Double, Down, cheese, monterey, jack, bacon, unhealthy, sodium, heart, attack

Working in Downtown, I was a bit surprised there is only one KFC in the West End. Of course, given KFC rap, this could swing both ways. Knowing there will be some hype behind it, I decided to leave around 11:30 a.m., hoping to arrive at that KFC in Davie Street before any line formed. To my surprise that small location was packed when I arrived! Now, not everybody ordered that sandwich; some of them went for the regular KFC fare. However, as soon as I made my order, people behind me were ordering three or four of such sandwiches. (Including a shameless news reporter who was asking for other customers for a chance to take pictures. C’mon, take a picture of *your* own sandwich!). What was even more surprising is that by noon, it was sold out and there was a wait until 2:00 p.m. Call it initial success?

As for the sandwich itself, I already had a good idea of what to expect. I mean, it is not that I haven’t tried it before. As for this one… Well, despite the way it is constructed seems “better”, my initial thoughts a couple of months earlier haven’t changed. It is a darn messy “sandwich”. Here is the reason I thought this was “better” compared to the US version: the chicken had more juices in it, compared to the US version; however, I can think of a reason why this is the case: given the rush of orders, these would be recently cooked; whereas in the US, since the hype was long gone when I had it, it could have been sitting there for a while.

As for the rest of the “sandwich”, well, it is what was promised, cheese, some dressing and bacon. The bacon wasn’t crispy and the cheese was… Actually, it wasn’t bad but, then again, it was a lot of fat. The overall combined package… Well, the same issue I ran into in the US version was encountered here too: This monstrosity had an extremely salty feeling in it and had to wash it down with a glass of pop – Did I mention I didn’t finish it? Even then, I was still feeling that salt in my mouth for hours to come. You thought MSG was bad?

Now, without the bread, it brings another question: how filling it is? If you are a light eater, this might be good enough; however, for somebody who might be a heavier eater, you can easily eat two of these. In my case… No…

Given this is my second time having it, at least I think I can make a judgement… And, (un)fortunately is the same one that I had when I first had it: It is over-rated in all possible aspects. And while it ain’t the worst meal healthwise, it will certainly be a runner up. It was fatty (the wrap was starting to be oily already), it was salty (as mentioned above, had to drink a lot of liquid after a couple of bites). For the price ($7, sandwich alone; $9 in a combo), I would rather get a rotisserie chicken. If you really want fried chicken, you might as well get some individual pieces and assemble it yourself. Heck, don’t even “assemble” it as a sandwich, eat the meat “as is”. But, if you want to say “I had it”, by all means, be my guest. Just make sure you have a contingency plan in regards to your health! ;)

1 Elaine October 19, 2010 at 12:39 am

*shivers* I think I just gained 10 lbs from looking at the pictures…

2 Buddha Girl October 19, 2010 at 1:06 am

I am so gonna try that!!!

3 Kevin October 19, 2010 at 3:44 am

Hype…I rather make my own double down. :D

4 KimHo October 19, 2010 at 7:53 am

Elaine2, what? And you don’t gain pounds when eating tons of sweets??? :P

BG, my suggestion: share one with BB. Otherwise, you are going to regret it.

Kevin, agreed! But… Would you? :)

5 Tony October 19, 2010 at 7:55 am

If not for the whole “two-thirds of your recommended daily salt intake in one sitting” thing that these things provide I’d give one a shot. Then my doctor would pop up from behind a bush and beat me up for it.
Is the saltiness coming from any one particular component, or is it general throughout the various pieces? I can understand the bacon being salty, but the rest, not so much…

6 KimHo October 19, 2010 at 8:09 am

Tony, the saltiness came from the chicken itself, as when I bit into parts without bacon, you could feel that sodium laden feeling.

7 Buddha Boy October 19, 2010 at 11:15 am

I guess i’ll share with BG, but i think i’ll like the one i made using McD’s better.
Maybe you should try that one instead, it was real juicy.

8 Steve October 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm

You really have to wonder why they put all that salt in there? To kill bacteria? To add taste to an otherwise nasty food? They should have at least half the amount of salt in it.

9 Tony October 19, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I wonder if they brine their chicken or something as a marinade, for it to pick up that much salt on its own, or if salt is the main part of the whole 11 herbs and seasonings. I haven’t eaten KFC for probably four years now, but I don’t remember it being that salty-tasting – but that’s the first thing a lot of people I’ve seen discussing the Double Down mention. Odd.

10 KimHo October 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

BB, pretty much everybody agrees a self-made one is better than the KFC one!

Steve, salt helps “accentuate” flavours. Of course, that begs the question, how much? In the case of brining, some humidity/water will be “soaked” by the meat.

Tony, I won’t be surprised it would be brined, though I don’t think it will be marinated, as it could interfere with the herbs/seasoning. But, once again, too much slat… >_<

11 Sherman October 19, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Actually I thought the sauce and cheese was pretty salty too. I’m still thirsty today!

12 sgtoca October 19, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I think my heart will stop beating after one bite but I hope to try this one day!

13 Mare-bear October 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Well Kim, maybe I am the only one alive that thinks that “sandurger” (sandwich + burger) or maybe burgerwich….looks awful! Now I do love my toonie tuesdays, but I think this just looks like a heart attack…..so it was nice knowing you and sherman but I think that this will actually kill you! oh well..

14 KimHo October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Mariko, news of my supposed death have been exaggerated. :P

15 Joe October 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

It has pretty much the same fat and calories as a Big Mac. The only bit which is worse is that it has 300mg more sodium. Everyone is panicking about this awful piece of food when there has been an equally awful food item available for years. And a double quarter pounder which cheese kills it in every category. Better make better choices!

16 KimHo October 21, 2010 at 8:53 am

Joe, welcome! As I mentioned, it is the hype…

17 souggy October 21, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I just had this at Brentwood Town Centre. I didn’t find it very salty… or salty at all. It wasn’t greasy either.

At first, I thought maybe I was eating too much Korean food (source: http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2920272), but then I realized some of the more popular items we take for granted (ie. Quarter Pounder, Big Mac, Baconator, Whooper) are actually worse than the Double Down. Even a steak at a steakhouse has more sodium.

Maybe it’s just I don’t really care for high sodium items… or maybe you and Sherman are making it a running joke. Or maybe I am eating too much kimchi. LOL.

18 P.J. October 31, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Well written article, sufficiently so, to convince me NOT to waste my money or furthe clog my arteries on this latest in the line of cardio-vascular threats. Besides, the K.F.C. secret mix, of 11 herbs (with an “h”) and spices, glows in the dark.
P.J.

19 KimHo October 31, 2010 at 9:42 pm

PJ, welcome! Well, whether it glows or not, I don’t know but not in a hurry to go back! :)

{ 1 trackback }