A noon at Aberdeen Centre

by KimHo on March 9, 2011 · 15 comments under: British Columbia,Food,Restaurant

Sky is falling!!! In my last post, I wrote about Excellent Tofu & Snack, a dessert tofu shop in Richmond next to Aberdeen Centre. Going there wasn’t that much of an issue; after all, it was late night (*) and I was already in Richmond in YVR. However, the issue is going to Richmond during the day where all hell break loose!

(*) Just because it is night does not preclude from tweens driving expensive cars taking over the parking lots of most strip malls!

Aberdeen, Centre, Yaohan, Centre, Richmond, Vancouver, Cambie, Road, No 3, food, court, mall, Osaka, T&T, pork, chicken, curry, soup, fried, chicken, wings, home style, hainanese, chicken, rice, rib, sausage

But, in this case, Chris, Sarah and Bin wanted to go for some Chinese eats and to Richmond it was… However, there was sort of a reason…

We arrived at Yaohan Centre and the experience I was hoping to show Chris and Company happened almost right away: The crazy Richmond drivers. See, one of the things that some of us have complained about Richmond, aside from the narrow parking spaces, is their drivers. Truth is, people there do NOT know how to drive. I am not talking about just hitting the gas or brake; people don’t know know how to maneuver nor want to walk an additional 100 metre. Instead, they would rather double park (and don’t give a damn in the process) or stop, holding all the traffic while waiting for somebody who is starting to load his/her car, rather than turn around to the next open spot. In fact, in the two trips to Richmond, I think Chris and Company saw a bit of everything. In the particular case of Yaohan, I was turning around and had the right to take a parking spot. However, a SUV speeds up trying to take that same spot. Nope, I didn’t budge! Just because you have a bigger car does not mean I will yield to you, bastard!

But back to the trip. Once in Yaohan, we went to Osaka Supermarket (aka, T&T in disguise) and then a peek at their food court. Alas, we arrived a bit too early and several of the shops there was still empty. So, we took a quick drive to the mall across the street to Aberdeen Center. First thing I had to show them? That insane turn at the entrance. To those who haven’t driven there, as soon as you enter the building (driving, of course), you have to do a sharp right turn and, less than 10 metres later, a sharp left turn which leads you to the parkade. Here is the problem: as mentioned above, people do not want to walk an additional 100 metres and, given there is only lane up and one lane down, they would hold all the cars while waiting for somebody to leave. Going to the next level? Not a chance! “Fortunately”, we were still relatively early and managed to snag a spot almost right away.

Taking them to a small tour to what this mall has to offer, we went to our intended destination: their food court. Now, I must mention that I offered to drive to Burnaby, specifically to Crystal Mall as an alternative but, I guess due to time (despite it was noon, remmeber the one hour time zone difference), we decided to look for options at the food court. So, it was Chris and Sarah, Bin by himself and I by myself, buy something and meet back in ~15 or so minutes. In the end we got…

Chris seemed to be hypnotized by the siu mei and ended up getting not one or two but *three* dishes from Leung Kee Cantonese Food, from char siu pork to rib and Chinese sausage on rice and curry. All of these came with a small soup.

On Bin’s side, he went to Cafe D’Lite Express and got an order of Hainanese Chicken with rice. To me, it was OK. For some reason, I felt there was something… Missing? Probably I didn’t scoop too much of the sauces? Maybe…

And, finally, despite people have said it has gone downhill, chicken wings from Wo Fung Dessert (my previous post here). Has it gone downhill? Well, I will have to say that, probably a bit less of that ginger marinade like taste it had in the past but still delicious in its own ways.

And here is a plate with a bit of everything.

To me this food is more on the lines of “comfort” food, not necessarily fine dining or anything on those lines. After all, hey, this is a food court! As for the food itself, aside from too much carbs/rice, I won’t necessarily call the best (for example, for pork only, I would have gone to HK BBQ Master) but, for variety and quick fix, this definitely does the job. Is this food court better than the other ones? Well, it is a hard call. Aberdeen’s have things that Yaohan does not have (Frappe Blisse) and vice-versa (congee in Yaohan). Likewise, these do not have something that Crystal Mall has (XLB at Wang’s Shanghai Cuisine) and, once again, vice-versa. In the end, it is a matter of whether you want to travel to these places, else just what is available in the closest place and enjoy what you can get. As for myself… Well, while most of the stuff here are things I can find alternatives without driving down to Richmond so unless there is a good reason, like driving out-of-town friends to visit them, I will stick with what I can find in either Vancouver or Burnaby. As for Chris’ thoughts? How about you check his post!

Oh, one another thing I really hope happened is that Chris, Sarah and Bin now know what mean when people like me and Sherman says “Richmond”! Why? Because, when leaving the parking lot, what I described about Aberdeen Centre parking lot actually happened: long line from the entrance, almost bumper to bumper. As soon as I signaled, there was a car right next to mine waiting to take my spot. At least they were using the blinkers!

Cafe D'Lite Express (Aberdeen Centre) on UrbanspoonLeung Kee Cantonese Food (Aberdeen Centre) on UrbanspoonWo Fung Dessert (Aberdeen Centre) on Urbanspoon

1 Buddha Girl March 9, 2011 at 12:23 am

OMG!!! Kim was in Aberdeen!!! At least you went early so the snake lineup in the parking lot did not really happen to you…hahahaha!!!

2 Elaine March 9, 2011 at 12:27 am

*hands up* I am one of the bad drivers =D =D =D

3 LotusRapper March 9, 2011 at 12:50 am

No parkade is as bad as Crystal, period ! Whichever architect/engineer signed off on that building ought to be …….. tortured.

How do you find Leung Kee’s bbq meats compared to Crystal Mall food court’s Delicious BBQ ?

4 KimHo March 9, 2011 at 6:29 am

BG, for friends, I will do whatever needs to be done! ;)

Elaine, O_o

LR, aside from the usual “park in Metrotown!!!”, if you just drive right down to the lower levels, it is doable. Still it is a pain. For Aberdeen, in comparison, there is no such alternative!

Leung Kee vs. Delicious BBQ, I haven’t had the one from Delicious in a while (as in almost a year) so I would rather not do this comparison. Sorry!

5 Elaine March 9, 2011 at 9:10 am

I find Aberdeen not as bad as Parker Place already Kim LMAO…actually the parkade at Excellent Tofu & Snack is the worst!

6 Derek Ip March 9, 2011 at 9:53 am

Being from Richmond, I have become oblivious to the driving, everything becomes meh when you just expect it.

7 Tony March 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

The Aberdeen food court was my first introduction to ramen (that didn’t come in a dried brick in a bag with some flavoured salt) – I rather like the ramen place there. Looks like I need to get more exploratory when it comes to the other offerings!

8 KimHo March 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Elaine, that parkade is bad because of small spots plus bad drivers. However, if you can’t find a spot, you just leave (no business from me!). In the case of Aberdeen, you are stuck!

Derek, I don’t live in Richmond… :)

Tony, likewise, there are other Chinese food courts, namely, Crystal Mall! :D

9 Han March 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

You were in Osaka and then DROVE to Aberdeen mall????? My God, it is 30 meters walking from Osaka!!! You people lazy and make all the traffic jams that way. walk, don’t drive, when you know of the traffic jams within Aberdeen parking next time ;)

10 KimHo March 9, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Han, welcome! You do realize that, if I choose to park at Yaohan and walk to Aberdeen, I risk my car be towed? And, did I mention I don’t like to drive to Richmond to begin with? :P

11 Steve March 10, 2011 at 2:50 am

HAHA! I loved the part about the bad drivers. Made me crack up! I’m Chinese but born in Canada. I had white friends as well as Chinese so I’m pretty well rounded. Anyway, I used to live in Richmond not long ago. You know, I was hit about 7 times by drivers who don’t have a friggen clue how to drive. Then they park so close next to you, you can’t open your door. I’m sorry to admit, but yes Richmond has the WORST drivers, and yes they are Chinese. How they get a license I’ll never know.. actually I do know.. but that illigal activity is up for debate another time.

Ok, actually I like Aberdeen’s food court. Parkade is not so great but not as bad as Crystal Mall. The North entrance to Aberdeen is hideous. A complete moron must have designed this. Crystals food court is poor. The parkade is stupid, again. Parker Place is not bad for parking but the spots are too small. Yaohan is average for parking, their food court is ok.. nothing great. Seriously though, The Chinese malls must hire the most inept people to design them! Then they charge the most outrageous rental/lease costs they can dream up, causing nearly 8 in 10 businesses to fail, and then they wonder why their malls suck! It pisses me off, because I want to see Chinese businesses succeed! Whatever..

Love the blog, thanks for letting me vent!

12 KimHo March 10, 2011 at 6:20 am

Steve, welcome! And, you are welcome! :D Crystal Mall is not as modern as Aberdeen, granted; however, as mentioned, the parkade issue at Crystal Mall can be avoided by parking at Metrotown!

13 James March 11, 2011 at 7:26 am

I don’t know if I should be mentioning this on here but:

I have cracked the parking code of aberdeen!

You just have to walk a tiny bit, but it’s worth it.

Beside the Tim Horton’s on 3 road, just park behind the X.0. club. It’s closed down (i think)and they DON’T PATROL THE LOT during the day!

I know this because I have done it the last 4 times that I’ve been there.

It’s waaaaaay faster then dealing with the BS bumper to bumper and horrible drivers in the parkade. (ummm not saying that Richmond has more sh*tty drivers or anything like that.. Of course not :) )

Give it a try! It’s impark so you dont have to pay the ‘tickets’ anyway

14 Chris March 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Definitely an interesting parking scene. The meal, however, made it all seem easy and care free. Thanks!

15 LotusRapper March 12, 2011 at 12:22 am

I had to go to Crystal around noon today to run an errand (that I couldn’t do elsewhere). I thought I was smart by parking down in P2, which was pretty easy when going in. Well, coming out, there was some delay way up ahead at the ramp (which I could not see what it was). Within minutes, the queue in P2 to get out had grown to 20+ cars. Some couldn’t even pull out of their spots because the driveway was blocked. Some people actually turned off their engines during this wait, which lasted about 15 minutes (an eternity when you’re stuck in a friggin’ parkade with a single friggin’ vertical circulation between levels, and a single friggin’ entrance/exit to the outside world. OK I’m getting worked up again even thinking about it. Sigh.

Next time, park in the Station Square parkade (across Save-On-Foods) or in the library underground parkade across the street !!!!!!!